The abandoned house

                                                                   
                                                                                   SOLD

During one of my road trips with my dad in South Africa, I took hundreds of pictures of houses, farms, fields, and mountains all while we were driving. Despite the fact that many of the photos turned out blurred, I still managed to capture quite a bit of good reference material. One of my photos was of an old abandoned house.
 I loved the rusty roof and the peeling paint on the walls, the green grass in the fore ground and the long dark shadows across it. It was one of those really easy paintings that I had loads of fun doing. The people who bought it had a special reason for doing so, they said that their cousin had a farm house that looked just like that and so wanted to buy it.
Abandoned places have always interest me, what was once a place of human habitation is now just an empty shell, a piece of history. Who lived there? What was life like? Why did they leave? Often the answers to such questions lie around the place in the form of clues .Exploring old sites of human habitation (something I love doing) often reveal something about the type of life they lived. Capturing such places in a photo or a painting is actually just capturing an echo from the past.

Comments

Beautifully written post, Roger, and a fascinating painting.
Andrew said…
Do you use oil paint.
Roger Brown Art said…
Yes I do use oils,I normally start with thin washes of paint, especially for the large areas in the painting and then build up with thicker layers of paint while refining the details.

Popular Posts