Cry of the African Fish Eagle.

Nothing reminds me better of the waterways of Africa than the cry of a African fish eagle,its one of my favorite sounds and has always been associated with some of the holiday trips that I enjoyed in the Okavango Delta with the rest of my family.

Its a strikingly handsome bird with tremendous power .I have witnessed them fishing on numerous occasions.I remember once drifting down the river in a boat with my dad while fishing, when we saw a fish eagle swoop down and grab a fish from the water.The eagle was shocked to find  out  that he had bitten off more than he could chew.Clasped between his talons was a large and heavy bream.Instead of soaring into the blue sky with his catch, the once dignified eagle ended up flapping clumsily across the surface of the water, battling to maintain a hold on the fish while trying not to sink beneath the water . This continued until he finally reached the shore where after a brief rest proceeded  to eat his meal at leisure.

This is a painting I did when I was 18 during my stay in Maun .Its done in Acrylic on Masonite board and was  sold not long afterwards.

SOLD

Comments

April Jarocka said…
I listened to the Fish eagle on Youtube to get an idea of what you meant. It kind of sounds a little like a seagull. Some of my earliest memories are of the time I spent in a Cornish fishing village and the cry of the gulls takes me back instantly. A beautiful painting. My, if I could have done something like that at eighteen! Beautiful work.
Roger Brown Art said…
Thanks April ,Glad you liked it,and that it also brought back some memories of your own ,if you listen to the fish eagle on youtube make sure it is a African Fish Eagle and not the American Fish Eagle as they are quite different.
Maria Villioti said…
It's wonderful Roger. I'am from Greece and we have many beautiful places but this is very defferent.Beautiful painting.
What a magnificent-looking bird!
mollie jones said…
Hi Roger...what a wonderful painting...and to think that you've obviously always been very talented with your art and observations. I love that elephant herd on your previous post...hope you got lots of $$ as it is stunning. Looks like I'm your newest follower...looking forward to the ride. Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier.
belle said…
Hey...that painting is cute! keep it up! Nice talent.
F.M.Marrouch said…
Hola Roger, estoy descubriendo su blog y he encontrado maravillosos trabajos, tiene un dominio del dibujo envidiable, y una paciencia increible, me encantan sus pinturas, utiliza acuarela o lapiz de color?, yo viví 10 años en áfrica trabajando como geólogo en la sabana y sus trabajos me recuerdan muchas cosas agradables
saludos.
Another animal lover. So enjoy hearing your stories and seeing your beautiful paintings. I will add you to my blog roll. thanks for adding me to yours!
Rebecca Taylor said…
Wow, stunning work - what a magnificent looking creature!
Unknown said…
Love the wild animals. Awesome work Roger. I have really enjoyed looking at your work.
Mikko Tyllinen said…
Very beautiful! Fantastic artwork Roger!
Anonymous said…
Your art is lovely. We used to go on holiday to Knysna and camp along the river where we used to see these wonderful birds and hear their unique cry.
Thanks for your comments on my blog.
Jean
Roger Brown Art said…
Thanks for all of your comments they make my day! :)

Popular Posts